Thursday, November 12, 2009

The Rocketeer Deluxe Slipcase Designs






The original design for the slipcase of the deluxe edition of "The Rocketeer," had die-cuts in the case, so you could see part of the image of the actual book inside (see earlier entry). I was trying to be clever and use some of the same design elements, except flop the colors. I wanted the slipcase to feel like an extension of the cover. After it was designed and approved, the vendor suddenly decided they could no longer do die-cuts. Huh???

Well, it was back to the beginning. Since the slipcase no longer had the die-cuts, I felt it wasn't as necessary to create a design that repeated the book cover aesthetic. This was an opportunity to create a whole new design. I headed into two different directions, one was to maintain some of the elements of the book cover (color palette, lightning bolts, and type treatment), the other was to try a new approach but continue to stay true to Deco/Streamline influence.

The designs have to go through an approval process, and by showing several different versions, it helps everyone to narrow things down to their first and second choices. The danger is, sometimes other people pick something different from your own personal favorite. Design is such a personal taste issue, that it's good to get specific feed back. What do you like, and what don't you like, and why? It's also good not to have a big ego.

In this particular case, I had no problem accepting the choice that was made. I think it works well with the book cover, it's consistent with the design vision, and it's a logical extension. It's the last image posted that was decided upon (the Rocketeer flying at an angle to the corner).

To make the slipcase feel a little more "special," the lightning bolts will be de-bossed and the title, lightning bolts and image of the Rocketeer will have a spot varnish applied.

Both versions of the book should be available in early December.

7 comments:

  1. Nice work man. Really looking forward to this. Things can never go smoothly can they? What other projects are you working on? Love your stuff.

    My other blog is: http://shanthenjeti.blogspot.com/

    Drop me a line at shanthenjeti@gmail.com

    -Rocket Pistol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always nice to hear from you, thanks for your kind works.

    Randy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of all those, which one happens to be your personal favorite?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess I would prefer to do a slipcase that didn't have type on it, something that was just an image or just design elements. I don't know... I'd have to re-think the solution.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book has sold out everything in a matter of days. If you see one at your LCS pick it up fast.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't realize that you were the designer for the book(s) until I received them. I preordered both versions and was thrilled to see your hand in the collections.

    I first noticed your work on Mark's Various Drawings book, but enjoyed it in both the Flash Gordon and Rocketeer collections this year, as well!

    I haven't gotten the Stout book yet, but now that I know it boasts his terrific illustrations AND your excellent design work, it's a must.

    No hyperbole hear, just a genuine enthusiasm and appreciation for some wonderful work!

    --Steve

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Steve. I'm currently working on 5 more book designs. 2 books are being done with Mr. Stout, he has such a wealth of material.

    2 books are being done with a very iconic legendary artist, (he's probably influenced more people than anyone in the business).

    The last book is going to be a very large formatted collection (12x18). I'll post more information and cover designs when these projects are announced.

    Thank you all, for your kind comments and encouragement, it is greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete